Home Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Other Authors What I am Reading in Urban Fantasy ~ Science Fiction ~ Fantasy

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    crossfox21
    Participant

Excerpt from RUBY FEVER has been posted on the IA website. WHEEEEE!

crossfox21
      Participant

Wen Spencer’s latest Elfhome book, HARBINGER, is finally out. Wooohoooo! I was finishing a reread of Anne Bishop’s Others series first, because the latest in that came out too. I’m reading Harbinger first because seriously, I have been waiting on this book for years, literally. And next week, the latest Rivers of London from Ben Aaronovitch. This has to console us all for the new Mercy being pushed back to August. And of course, it’s Friday, so I’m off to Ilona Andrews site now for the Innkeeper installment. It’s a good day all round.

Charlaine
        Participant

It’s been many years since I read Wen Spencer, so thanks for reminding me, crossfox21. I’ll read up about it. I have so many writers to follow that every now and then one falls by the wayside. Ilona is the greatest. It’s been too long since our paths crossed.

Charlaine

crossfox21
          Participant

Happy reading!

crossfox21
            Participant

Now that I’ve finished HARBINGER, I feel I should issue an alert. You’re going to be lost if you haven’t read the stories in PROJECT ELFHOME. This is no hardship; they are delightful, and honestly go down easier in some cases than the books. Just mentioning it because some readers skip short stories and novellas, and in a lot of cases it doesn’t matter when you’re reading the books, but in this case it definitely does. Those stories introduce Pittsburgh residents who have major roles in HARBINGER, and provide important backstory for some of the new book’s characters who have only been mentioned briefly in previous books. And of course, if you haven’t read WOOD SPRITES, you will be doubly lost.

Next up this evening is CROWBONES from The Others series, and Tuesday AMONGST OUR WEAPONS comes out. This is a really excellent week.

aquasam
              Participant

I’ve been listening to THE FALLEN KINGDOMS series by Morgan Rhodes. Luckily my library has had all of them without any waiting, so I’ve been able to get through them quickly. They’re pretty entertaining and the narrator is great.

Charlaine
                Participant

I haven’t heard of that series, I’ll have to look them up. I am always glad to hear of new writers I might enjoy.

Charlaine

audiobooklover
                  Participant

On my walk this morning (before it started raining on me two hours earlier than rain was forecast ;( ), I finished listening to the second in Ilona Andrews’ Hidden Legacy series. I’ve really enjoyed them both and I’m glad a friend recommended them to me because based on the cover images and the first blurb I read, I didn’t think I’d enjoy them nearly as much as I did. They are far more urban fantasy than romance, but I wouldn’t necessarily have guessed that, and I’m more an urban fantasy reader than a romance reader (though I read some romance too – I have pretty wide-ranging reading taste).

Charlaine
                    Participant

Those are some of my favorite books. I love the world-building! I’m looking forward to the next one.
                      Incidentally, one of my favorite writers, Daniel O’Malley, has a new book, BLITZ, on Oct. 18. It’s set in the same world as one of my all-time favorite books, THE ROOK.

Charlaine

audiobooklover
                      Participant

Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoyed The Rook too! And, I didn’t realize he had a new book coming out. I probably need to review the first two books because it’s been a long time since I read them.

audiobooklover
                        Participant

Today, I finished listening to Wildfire, the third in in Ilona Andrews’ Hidden Legacy series. I really loved this one too. Such a great series.

I also really liked A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers. It’s a short one if you don’t have a lot of time, too.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.