What I am Reading in Mystery ~ Thriller ~ Hard Boiled ~ Cozies

What I am Reading in Mystery ~ Thriller ~ Hard Boiled ~ Cozies

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Other Authors What I am Reading in Mystery ~ Thriller ~ Hard Boiled ~ Cozies

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      web admin
      Keymaster

Use this thread to discuss other authors you’re reading in the mystery, thriller, hard boiled detective, or cozy mystery genres.

audiobooklover
      Participant

Earlier today, I finished listening to The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. It’s been on my TBR list for a while and I’ve been on the eaudio hold list for a long time (almost a year I think – or even longer?). I really enjoyed it. I haven’t read any of her other books, but this is the one that has been recommended to me.

Now, I started The Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston and Child. I think these count as mysteries, but could also be thrillers. I’ve heard great things about this series, and although I wasn’t blown away by the first 2, I’ve been told the series gets better after the first few, so I’m moving along on number 3 now.

crossfox21
      Participant

Sounds good! Keep us updated.

I read a Laurie R. King from her Russell/Holmes series recently, Riviera Gold. Another fun entry in that series. I’ve also read a couple of C.J. Box mysteries, from his Joe Pickett series about a game warden out west. And Iron Lake by William Kent Kreuger, considerably darker than Ordinary Grace which was the first book of his I’d read. OG is a standalone fiction, while the series that starts with Iron lake is small-town mystery.

audiobooklover
      Participant

I love the Russell Holmes series. I think I’m caught up on those and waiting for a new one. I haven’t read CJ Box (except maybe a short story in an anthology??? I think I read something with Joe Pickett).

And, I’m thrilled to see that you are reading William Kent Krueger. I love his books and he’s a delightful guy. I’ve met him in person and seen him several times virtually in the last year and a half. He joined the Outlander Book Club on Zoom for our Book of the Month in July when we discussed This Tender Land and it was a fantastic discussion. We’re doing Ordinary Grace in January and he’s joining us again, so we’re thrilled. He even suggested that at the earlier Zoom meeting because we had such a good discussion and said he’d be happy to come back.

I’m almost done with Preston and Child book 3. The plots tend to be interesting/exciting, but I’m still finding some of the writing clunky, some dialogue awkward and most of the characters flat. I might ask the friend who warned me about this how many more books it takes until the books get better because there are too many other things to read for me to stick with a series if it takes too long to get better. But, at least 3 or 4 people have raved about this series to me, so I don’t want to give up too soon either.

crossfox21
      Participant

People are always recommending the Harry Dresden series to me, and I hate it. Read the first three. Could not stand. Same with the Fever series with the idiot heroine and a$$hole hero. I will never get those hours back from my life.

As it happens, I got Ordinary Grace mixed up with This Tender Land, which is the one I actually read. Ordinary Grace is on my list to read.Can you tell I read a lot of reviews before I ever pick up a book?

audiobooklover
      Participant

I loved Ordinary Grace when I read it years ago and I’m looking forward to rereading it for the book discussion in January. I think I might have liked it even more than This Tender Land, though it’s been so long since I read it that I can’t remember for sure.

I’ve read several Dresden books too, and I don’t love them despite a lot of recommendations, so I’m kind of glad to see I’m not the only one. I think I read the whole Fever series, but I’m not sure and I can’t remember how I felt about the main characters – though not liking the hero sounds familiar. I must have liked them enough to finish, but I didn’t read any of the spinoffs (which I think there were several of, if I’m thinking of the right series).

aquasam
      Participant

I just finished AS GOOD AS DEAD, which was the final book in the A GOOD GIRL’S GUIDE TO MURDER series by Holly Jackson. I thought all three of these were great.

audiobooklover
      Participant

I see I mentioned the Zoom discussion of Ordinary Grace with William Kent Krueger. That was yesterday and it was great! I enjoyed OG quite a bit on this second read – or actually, I listened this time.

I’ve also been listening to the Matthew Shardlake series by CJ Sansom, which are historical mysteries set in the Tudor era. I find them excellent. I think I only have one more left.

And, I’ve gotten back into the Number One Ladies’ Detective Agency now that I’ve found them on audio again. I love the narrator and her African accent and that really adds to my enjoyment so I prefer audio to text version.

crossfox21
      Participant

I love the Number One Ladies Detective Agency. This would probably be a good time to reread them.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.