Home Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Other Authors What I am Reading in Fiction ~ Classics ~ Biographies ~ Autobiographies

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Simpson-Weiss
    Participant

Use this thread to share what you’re reading with the community.

audiobooklover
      Participant

I’m not positive that this is the right thread (though it’s definitely fiction), but today I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy of the ninth book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, “Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone”. Anyone else?

crossfox21
        Participant

I think that one could probably go in the UF/SF/F thread too, since it’s got the time travel element. I have never been willing to invest the time in that series, even though Ms. Gabaldon is a biologist. I stayed in a borrowed apartment once that had an Outlander Companion, with synopses of the books to that date, so I do know the basics of the story.

audiobooklover
          Participant

Having read and loved The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye a couple of years ago, today I started Shadow of the Moon. I haven’t gotten far yet, and this is likely to take me months to read – it’s over 700 pages long with fairly small font – but I love it so far.

And, since it fits this thread, I’ll also mention that I’ve been doing a scene by scene discussion of Hamlet on another online site. I’ve both seen and read the play before, but this time through I’m noticing things I didn’t before and I’m really enjoying it. We’ll be reading Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell in September as a Book of the Month, so we’re reading Hamlet leading into that. I’ve actually listened to Hamnet before and liked it, but I hope this recent familiarity with the play will add to the fun of rereading it.

crossfox21
            Participant

I read both of those MM Kaye books back in the day, and enjoyed them.That sounds like a fun Hamlet project.

audiobooklover
              Participant

I finished my Hamlet read a couple of days ago and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the play and discussing it with people.

And, another book that I listened to in the past few days that fits this thread is Notes From a young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi. I can’t recall where I got the recommendation, but it was on my OverDrive Wish List so I listened and thought it was really impressive how much he accomplished at such a young age and how he turned his life around through hard work and determination. And, the food sounded yummy!

crossfox
                Participant

We don’t seem to have a separate thread for nonfiction apart from bio/autobiography, so I’ll put this here.

I’m almost finished with Astoria by Peter Stark. This book chronicles a transcontinental expedition organized and financed by John Jacob Astor in 1810 for the purpose of establishing an American-controlled trade route from New York to the Pacific Northwest; from there to China; from China to London; and back to NYC.

This was of course quite a perilous undertaking, and there’s plenty of action and suspense. There is also enough arrogance and idiocy to make the reader want to bang her head on something. Predictable consequences ensue. Nevertheless it’s a good read if you like history, or current events for that matter. Some things never change.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.