Weather, we haz it

Weather, we haz it

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Community Weather, we haz it

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      crossfox21
      Participant

We are getting the wettest snow I have ever shoveled. I’ve gone through two pair of gloves and two hats already. I hope everyone in the path of this storm is safe and dry.

Bigmama
      Participant

Happy New Year, Crossfox! Since I live in Florida we are just now getting the colder weather with this front. For us 39 degrees is a blizzard!! ๐Ÿ™‚ With the arthritis I have it might as well be! I’m hunkered down in my recliner with a blanket and my cat in my lap rereading Charlaine’s “Shakespeare” series (my personal favorite). All is well! ๐Ÿ™‚

audiobooklover
      Participant

Right now, it’s just been really cold, but we got quite a lot of snow a little over a week ago and might get more tomorrow night. So, yes, we haz weather here too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stay warm everyone! And, happy 2022!

crossfox21
      Participant

Same to you all! Glad to hear everyone is weathering the weather, as it were. We ended up with about 4″, but it felt like 8″ shoveled. I put in 1.5 miles in almost three hours of shoveling. Not all at once, and it did require an advil at suppertime. Also fed the birds, because I saw bluebirds out foraging earlier in the day. I got a mix that has freeze dried insects for them the previous day, and another with peanuts and pistachios for the squirrels and crows, that I put at different spots to distract the furry little hooligans from the stuff meant for smaller, feathered individuals.

crossfox21
      Participant

Now we have the opposite snow, about 6″ of almost pure powder. More seed and some suet cakes out! Also more shoveling, *sigh*. Easier than last time though. It’s going down to 16F tonight, and right now the wind is 12-15mph. Not my favorite kind of weather. The pups are zooming when they go out though.

audiobooklover
      Participant

We hit 15 above zero today (though colder with windchill) and we were remarkably excited about it since it’s been so much colder. The next couple of days have predicted highs of 0 and -4 respectively, but by Tuesday it’s supposed to go over 20. Very excited about that. ๐Ÿ™‚

crossfox21
        Participant

See, this is why I live in what is technically the south. I am not made for those kind of temperatures.

audiobooklover
        Participant

At least with cold temps you can add layers. There’s only so much you can take off when it’s hot…

crossfox21
        Participant

This is true.

crossfox21
      Participant

Hope everyone in the path of this storm is stocked up and ready to read for a while. Wishing you all warm dry socks and adequate layers.

Bigmama
      Participant

We have 30 degree weather in north Florida so I am staying home and working on my income taxes. Always an activity that will raise your temperature! ๐Ÿ™‚

crossfox21
      Participant

So sorry you have to deal with that! We are having a lot of nights and mornings in the teens, which is below normal for us. Also getting some really weird weather where the temp rises overnight and drops during the next day, and vice versa. It looks like next week might return to something more nearly normal for us. We can hope.

Bigmama
      Participant

We are supposed to have 20 degree weather tomorrow so I am settling into my recliner with my comfy afghan and a good book!

crossfox21
      Participant

Good plan! It’s snowing here now, and tomorrow is going to be pretty awful. I stocked up so I don’t have to go out except for barn chores and dog exercise. The past couple of days were fine for hiking.

Bigmama
      Participant

thinking I have finally contracted covid. UGH!! Hugged my sweet daughter after she had it. Love can get you!

crossfox21
        Participant

Fingers crossed for mild symptoms if any! At least you’ve been vaccinated.

Weatherwise, we are having a few mild, sunny days. We have earned them as far as I’m concerned. Temps will be down in the teens again Sunday night, *sigh*. Enjoying the heck out of this respite in the meantime.

audiobooklover
      Participant

Oh no, Bigmama! I hope you have mild symptoms and feel better soon.

We’re in the middle of a blizzard. The wind is really howling out there. Schools and colleges are closed. The gym is apparently open, but I’m going to work out at home instead. I will go to work this afternoon, but the blizzard is supposed to be over by then (I hope – originally the blizzard warning was ending at 9 and it’s shifted back to noon).

crossfox21
      Participant

I think that weather’s supposed to get here, in much weakened form, very early on Sunday (like just after midnight Saturday). So far they’re not predicting a ton of snow, but plenty of cold.

audiobooklover
      Participant

It’s been quite cold here. We didn’t get much new snow with the blizzard Thurs night and yesterday, but the big thing with a blizzard is high winds leading to blowing snow and possible whiteout conditions. Looks like much of the next week is going to be fairly cold too, though it bounces up and down a bit. On the plus side, all the highs look to be above zero. I’m really ready to be done with subzero highs for this season.

Rebecca19
      Participant

How are you Big Mama?

Bigmama
      Participant

I am fine. Covid test was negative. YAY! just having my usual horrible reaction to weather! We have another low pressure system moving in so I am crawling back to bed! This pain is unbearable at times!

crossfox21
      Participant

Glad it’s not covid; sorry to hear you are still in pain. Hope it improves soon!

Bigmama
      Participant

Having fine weather for a while! Enjoying it! Everyone here is out doing spring sprucing up and readying yards for summer gardens.

crossfox21
      Participant

Great to hear! I got some daffodils divided and replanted a few days ago when it was unseasonably warm. This weekend and tomorrow are a bit on the brisk side, but I expect to get more yard work in this week when it stays in the 50s during the day.

Bigmama
      Participant

I had a very touching moment yesterday which I would like to share. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hubby and I went to visit daughter #2 yesterday (Sunday mid-afternoon) to see her home, which she was VERY excited about. She lives in the “family” home which she “bought” from us about six years ago. She has had a lot of changes in her life since she took over the property, including a divorce about 5 years ago and a remarriage late last year. Her first husband I won’t comment much upon other than to say he never took ANY interest in caring for or improving the property. Since she was the primary bread winner she was usually simply too exhausted to do much more than mow the grass on the weekends, though she loves the place and wanted to take care of it. Well husband #2 is a whole different person! (YAY!) He is proud of the home and seems to love working in the yard and caring for the property as much as she does. This weekend they cleaned out the house, and by that I mean got rid of all the living room furniture, cleaned the house completely and got new furniture and rugs for the living room. Her husband is the manager of a local business and has a group of Mexican workers who have become their friends and they hired them to come and work in the yard, clearing the land around a creek that runs though the front of the house. I always thought this was a BEAUTIFUL area but my husband and I had both worked and didn’t have the resources to do much in the yard so we were THRILLED when we visited to see how wonderful it looked with all the trees trimmed and the grass mowed and the banks of the creek cleared out! My daughter told me how she had taken her friend who was the man in charge of the group out before they started to show him the area where she had buried the babies she had lost, two miscarriages and a late term still birth, ๐Ÿ™ and asked that they just cleaned the area a bit and she would take care of it later. Well, when we finally arrived to admire all the work they had done, we all visited for a while and the men went back over to continue to load up the huge amount of limbs and yard trash to haul it away. Emily came to me and, with tears in her eyes, told me she wanted to show me something. She led me back to where I knew my little grandbabies were buried and I was surprised to see it had been cleaned off and around the area was planted a group of beautiful wild azaleas. The small stone we had installed had been carefully cleaned and reinstalled so it was more easily seen and the area had a barrier of wooden timbers around it. It looked lovely and cared for. Emily and I both stood and cried a bit about the kindness of these good men who had simply come out to help her husband, their friend, to clear some land. After all the negative things I had been seeing on tv and all around in this country right now, it was so heartwarming to just ponder the kindness of these friends.

crossfox21
      Participant

What a lovely gesture that was. It must have been truly heartwarming to see the whole property renovated, and especially the care shown in that beloved spot. Thank you for sharing this!

audiobooklover
      Participant

Thanks for sharing that story of friendship and loveliness with us Bigmama. It’s always nice to read some of these nice stories amongst all the other stuff.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.