The Serpent in Heaven (Gunnie Rose Book 4)

The Serpent in Heaven (Gunnie Rose Book 4)

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Gunnie Rose The Serpent in Heaven (Gunnie Rose Book 4)

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

In case you missed it, the 4th Gunnie Rose novel is coming in November! Preordering is available now at all retailers.

#1 New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Charlaine Harris returns to her alternate history of the United States where magic is an acknowledged but despised power in this fourth installment of the Gunnie Rose series.

Felicia, Lizbeth Rose’s younger half-sister and student at the Grigori school within the capital of the New Holy Russian Empire in San Diego, is caught between secrets and powerful family struggles. As a distant relative to the Tsar, she provides an essential service to him by providing blood transfusions for his anemia, and she is thus given rare access and dismissed as if cattle. At the Grigori school she is seen as a charity case, a poor orphan with no prospects and no sign of magical prowess—the latter which Felicia keeps purposefully hidden. And yet, when a kidnapping attempt is made upon Felicia her past and her future crash together in violent ways.

Continuing immediately after The Russian Cage, this fantastical fourth book takes a side step, exploring the Holy Russian Empire while also showcasing the dynamic depths of magic within Harris’s alternate North America in curious mysteries. Felicia, it turns out, is far more than the Russian-Mexican waif Lizbeth rescued, and the journey of discovery she is on is filled with magical assassins and desperation, but above it all is her courage to never give in to the limitations imposed upon her.

crossfox21
      Participant

This is great news! Lizbeth is one of my favorite heroines, and I look forward to hearing more from Felicia. Ms. Harris does such a great job of getting inside the heads of characters, who may be way outside the Bell curve in their thinking due to their life experiences. The respect she shows for these characters is really impressive.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by crossfox21.

I haven’t started this series yet, but hope to over the summer when things quiet down. Have heard so many good things about it though from Charlaine’s readers.

audiobooklover
      Participant

Good to know a little more about the new book. Particularly when it will be coming out. Thanks!

Absolutely! I’ll make sure to post all new book info in the forums as we get it!

Charlaine Harris

I’m going to have to correct a few things in the book description. Most importantly, the tsar has hemophilia, not anemia. Writing Felicia was a delight . . . especially trying to get in the head of someone who’s fifteen, at most.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

crossfox21
      Participant

I love the characters you write that are out of the ordinary. The tiny, ancient Greek vampire is one of my favorites. Lizbeth and Felicia are others. It’s neat for the readers to get inside the skin of someone so far outside our experience. Whether we’d actually want to be them or even know them in real life, it’s tons of fun to read. I think I’d enjoy meeting Lizbeth, but not so sure about some of the others.

Charlaine Harris

I don’t believe Lizbeth would think too highly of me. My protagonists tend to have some trait (or many) that I wish I had myself! Getting inside Felicia was interesting, and so was writing Harper Connelly, who had as different a background from me as I can imagine.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

I don’t believe Lizbeth would think too highly of me. My protagonists tend to have some trait (or many) that I wish I had myself! Getting inside Felicia was interesting, and so was writing Harper Connelly, who had as different a background from me as I can imagine.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

crossfox21
        Participant

Well, Lizbeth is still pretty young. We tend to appreciate others good qualities more as we gain experience.

Charlaine Harris

That is so true! Especially in a spouse or significant other.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Now that I’m back at home, I will resume work on Gunnie Rose #5, as yet untitled. I had a fun talk with my editor, Joe Monti, while I was in NYC.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

crossfox21
      Participant

Excellent!

On another note, I just got around to reading the April 17 Washington Post magazine, which had an article on Fort Ross (formerly Fort Russ) in California. Of course it immediately reminded me of this series. Some neat background in it.

Charlaine Harris

I’ll look it up, crossfox. Happy Mother’s Day to all you readers!

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

crossfox
      Participant

I forgot this was coming out this week, and stumbled across it today. So it’s waiting on my Nook, because I had to attend a vestry meeting and don’t want to start it until I have a good chunk of time ahead of me. I’m very excited to have it for the weekend!

audiobooklover
      Participant

The audio just became available to me and I plan to start listening very soon. I’m excited!

[And, nice to see that the site seems to be working after the weirdness…]

audiobooklover
      Participant

I’m back having finished and enjoyed The Serpent in Heaven. 🙂

It’s different from the earlier Gunnie Rose books, both because it focuses on Felicia rather than Lizbeth, and because in all the others Lizbeth was traveling or visiting new places, and this one takes place entirely in San Diego, where Lizbeth went in the previous book. It also takes place mostly in a school for young people with magical abilities, so I couldn’t help thinking of Harry Potter, Naomi Novik’s Scholomance series or Lev Grossman’s Magician’s series, though those are all quite different from each other and this is different from all of them.

I don’t want to give spoilers, but I will say that there were some unexpected developments and I appreciated learning more about Felicia’s past, which has been pretty murky up to now. It’s also nice to see Felicia’s development and the ways in which she is like Lizbeth since they are both strong, brave and focused on protecting others.

crossfox
      Participant

I found this one had a different feel from others set in magical academies, in that more of the story in this one takes place outside of class. In the ones you mention, there seems to be more of the nitty-gritty detail of assignments, grading and so forth. Or maybe this is just my perception since we had Lizbeth’s three books of backstory before we ever got to see Felicia at school.

One thing that gives me some pause is how Felicia will react when she eventually finds out how her father really died.

Anyway, having this book to read during some pretty unpleasant weather was a real treat. I’m going to read it again when I’ve finished Astoria.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.