Technical Difficulties

Technical Difficulties

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Technical Issues Technical Difficulties

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      web admin
      Keymaster

Use this thread to post questions regarding technical difficulties.

audiobooklover
      Participant

Not really a technical difficulty, just a question. Is there a way to see which threads have new posts since your last visit, as there was on the previous forum?

web admin
      Keymaster

OK, well it doesn’t work quite as easily as on our old forum, but I added a plug-in to help in this. Alas, it doesn’t track your last log-in, but at least you can find the most recent posts… I hope. There should now be a menu bar at the top of the screen when you’re logged in. It will let you see the latest posts along with a couple other options.
      Forum Menu Screen Shot

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by web admin.
        audiobooklover
        Participant

Thanks! I think Topics Freshness is what I want, at least as far as I can tell right now.

Bigmama
        Participant

Dawn, is there an easy way to change my screen name? I have always been Bigmama but when I had to register with the new board I had to change the name for some reason to beverlybat.

Bigmama
        Participant

Never mind! I actually figured it out! You can teach an old dog new tricks! 😉 Now if I can just figure out how to increase the font size!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Bigmama.
        Bigmama
        Participant

Dawn, how do I increase the font size on the threads?

web admin
      Keymaster

Hi Bigmama! I’m working on the text size issue. It requires installing another layer of software, and sadly there’s no way to test it out in advance. So I’m installing and crossing fingers!

web admin
      Keymaster

Well, somehow the plug-in allowed me to make the font bigger on the first forum page, but when you click on a topic, it goes back to the smaller size.

Unfortunately, the way WordPress works is that you install different components of software, and they give you only limited control. I will have to look further into this. In the meantime, you can use the old-fashioned method:

In you browser menu, select View and then Zoom in. You might have to do that a few times to get it big enough.

Bigmama
        Participant

I finally went into the setting on my computer and went to the Ease of Access area and was able to increase the font size.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Bigmama.
      aquasam
      Participant

Are we able to go back and edit our old posts? Thanks!

web admin
        Keymaster

Hi aquasam,

You should see an “edit” link in the bar above your post on the far right.

I’m not sure if that option disappears over time. Unfortunately there is no user documentation for this software, so we have only trial-and-error!

crossfox21
      Participant

From another thread:

Hello, my name is Mike Taylor and I am a website designer and author. I noticed your website is redirecting to a pharmacy site in Google search. If you need help cleaning or maintaining this site let me know. my website is http://www.taylortownseo.com

September 8, 2021 at 8:33 PM #2466 EDIT | REPLY | QUOTE
      crossfox21
      Participant
      I had this experience as well. There is also a spammer who started threads over two months ago that are still up – something about sunglasses. And there was the difficulty in getting back into my account here, because the login page wouldn’t accept the password reset link it sent me. Dawn might need to take a look at some of this. The Google redirect and the invalid reset link may explain in part why there is so little traffic here. Not that I miss the insanity of the TrueBlood days, but it would be nice to see more old friends and new ones as well. Beyond that, someone should be checking the site daily for spam posts. It needs to be someone tech-savvy enough to delete them, i.e. not me.

Taylortown01
      Participant

I noticed the website is still displaying pharmaceutical spam in Google search. That means the website is hacked by someone who has inserted the malicious code causing these re-directs into the website files. My company professionally cleans the malicious code and takes proactive security measures. We also do WordPress site admin, which means installing needed WP security updates.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.