Home Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Sookie Stackhouse Sookie Stackhouse Books

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Charlaine
    Participant

I have a much high tolerance for offense than I used to! I could tell you didn’t know what a nest you were stirring. Post in peace.

Charlaine

Bigmama
      Participant

I was frankly bumfuzzled (!) by all the drama at the end of Sookie’s saga. I knew since my first interview with Charlaine back in 2005 who Sookie would end up with but I just enjoyed the ride! We had such a wonderful time when the fan club organized and we began to become active that I could not believe that there would be such a ruckuss at the end! Charlaine was ALWAYS such a good sport and was so creative and involved with the fans that I could not really understand those that were so ugly at the end.

I’m actually glad I wasn’t active on the forum at the end to see all that. However I did hear about fans turning on Mrs Harris, and tours being cancelled because of it. I felt so so sad for her! All I could hope was that they were teens. I remember when I was reading the Vampire Diaries and the author who had created all the characters and written like 8 books got fired. Apparently she signed a contract when she was young not completely understanding it was giving the company the right to her characters and books. The company brought in a ghost writer to continue writing her stories. She was devastated! I swore then I wouldn’t read another one of them ( which would have been written by the ghost writer who had taken over and had originally just been a helper trainee) and I didn’t. Call me silly but I’m loyal to my authors and hate seeing them mistreated. Ms Harris was definitely mistreated. I wished at the time I could give her a hug and still do! Between her interactions with all of us on here and cards in the mail you couldn’t help but feel like you had a true friendship with her, ( which I have never felt with any other author) Ms Harris wasn’t just the author of the books and characters I loved, she was a friend! That may sound silly. But hearing how she was being mistreated, my heart ached for her. Maybe it’s because I’m 55 and not one of the teenybopper. However I don’t feel these books were written for the youngsters, but sure they had enjoyed them to. I find it interesting how many of us have since gotten divorced and yet have come back here. We’ve all gone through our own traumas through the years, but are back to support each other and our favorite author.

crossfox21
        Participant

Indeed we are!

Just finished Dead in the Family on audiobook and it was great going back to Bon Temps with Sookie again. The only thing I can say I am “upset” over (and it isn’t actual anger, of course) is that we didn’t get more time with Sookie and Sam together. But Ms. Harris laid out a very nice path to this conclusion, in my opinion. Everything that happened was in character for each character. Everything made sense.

Charlaine
          Participant

Thanks for the thoughtful comments, dhsaber and MSGelinas. I didn’t cancel a planned tour, but I did refuse to go on one. People needed time to cool off, and I needed healing time. I certainly learned a lot during those weeks, and very little of it was pleasant. However, it’s in the past. I’m older and more cautious now. Every now and then I read a post from someone who is still furious, and I think what a waste of emotional energy that must be. Most people are very kind.

Charlaine

Bigmama
            Participant

I hated what happened at the end because, quite frankly, I felt like I was dropped on my head! I had been very active with the fan club (I organized it!) and the other activities in support of Charlaine and then, after several years, it suddenly ended for me. Quite a few of the “old guard” were still active but I felt I was seemingly deliberately excluded. The last conference I attended I came into the hotel restaurant for breakfast and saw all the club members at a table having a meet with Charlaine which I knew nothing about! I got the drift finally and left the hotel that day. I never had ANYTHING to do with the unpleasantness as far as I know so I was quite disturbed.

I’m sorry you were made to feel that way. Unfortunately I was never able to attend anything as I lived in Alaska at that time. I was around long enough to see the boards seem to become unfriendly. I do remember your name and contradictions back then. Although I was not part of making you feel that way, I would like to apologize for the emotional hurt and betrayal you were made to feel. I’m sure it ran deep, as I remember how active you were. I am so glad you have returned!!! I think we need to make a concentrated effort to now let that be the old board and us few create a new and positive board for both ourselves and new members who are finding it for the first time. Let this be our board who love the books. We can’t change the past but we can change our future. I believe many were hurt back then including Ms Harris. There will always be people that are enjoying the books for the first time. This is our new beginning. Again I am sorry for the way you were made to feel and would like to personally welcome you back. Welcome back Big mamma ?

I’m sorry big mamma I can’t find an edit button. Spell correct changed my word to contradiction. It isn’t what I meant. I was trying to say contrabutions.

Bigmama
              Participant

Teehee! Thanks for the explanation-I still felt I was standing on my head! 🙂 I realized how negative my post sounds and I would just like to say that I have always had tremendous respect for Charlaine and am in awe of her talent! She worked REALLY hard to write the amazing series that we all enjoy, and I am very proud that I made some contribution to a bid of it. She definitely did not deserve the ugliness at the end of Sookie! I am just thrilled that we can continue to enjoy her books and The Aurora movies on Hallmark-and didn’t I hear her newest series was to be picked up for tv? I consider Charlaine a friend and I have wonderful memories of the antics of the fan club in the early years!

Bigmama
                Participant

I’m Curious–do any od you out there still have your t-shirts with the duck logo on them? My shirts have lasted FOREVER and I still wear them. 🙂

crossfox21
                  Participant

I only ever attended one convention, Bouchercon in 1985 if memory serves. That one was close to home so I could attend; cons are generally spring and fall which are my busy seasons, so it’s rare for me to be able to travel then. In general I choose not to take offense at a perceived slight. Often it wasn’t intended, and if it was, ignoring it annoys the heck out of the perpetrator.

I’m sorry you experienced that, and hope it was an oversight on someone’s part. I have also seen cases where one person assured the group that another had been notified of an event, when in fact they had not. This happened to a friend who was estranged from her mother. Her mother assured the family that my friend had been notified of her grandmother’s funeral date and time. In fact, my friend’s mother had not even notified her of her grandmother’s death. Of course this kind of thing catches up to the liar eventually, but there can be a lot of hard feelings in the interim.

In any case, I completely support the idea that this new board offers a fresh start for all of us, so thank you dhsaber!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.