Sookie Stackhouse Books

Sookie Stackhouse Books

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Sookie Stackhouse Sookie Stackhouse Books

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      web admin
      Keymaster

Use this thread to discuss the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

crossfox21
      Participant

I started rereading these a couple of weeks ago, because I hadn’t read them since the Gunnie Rose series started. It’s like soaking in a hot tub with a mug of peppermint-chamomile tea and honey, and neither the tea nor the bathwater get too cold. Pure comfort.

dhsaber
      Participant
        I admit it’s been awhile since I was on here, thought I might have to reregister. But I didn’t. Still miss this series. Luckily I still have all the books, but wish you would consider reopening the series. These were my all time favorite books ( I confess Gone With the Wind is first but these were number 2). They were also the first series I ever bothered to read. I miss the cards I received, and being made to feel special by my favorite author. I remember feeling sad, when the series ended but safer still by how my favorite author was treated. I admit I have tried to find another series that would grab me like Sookie did. Engage adventure, romance, comedy and mystery. That would totally and completely absorb me into their world. While the show was entertaining, it never was as good as the books. They overplayed certain storylines that on repeat I fast forward through. Never did that with the books, no matter how many times read. I still have an audio book I won and was autographed by Mrs Harris that I never opened for fear of it getting ruined. I miss Sookie.
      crossfox21
      Participant

I just reread DEAD AS A DOORNAIL, part of a series reread that I’m doing on and off between other things. I was really struck by the empathy and respect with which Sookie’s character is written, as she is a person employed in the service sector who lives close to the edge of her finances, through no fault of her own. I do wonder how she would have weathered the pandemic, with all its disruptions and disillusionments, and expect she would have some pithy observations about it.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by crossfox21.

I think Sookie would’ve helped everyone she knew through the pandemic, regardless of her financial situation. She’d be checking on everyone and brining them food lol

I think Sookie would’ve helped everyone she knew through the pandemic, regardless of her financial situation. She’d be checking on everyone and brining them food lol

I think Sookie would’ve helped everyone she knew through the pandemic, regardless of her financial situation. She’d be checking on everyone and bringing them food lol

crossfox21
      Participant

I agree, to all three.

dhsaber
      Participant

Isn’t it great that between pandemics and WW3 threats we can still mentally escape into sookie’s world. By the way what I wrote up above ( and can’t find a way to edit) was supposed to say I was sad at how my favorite author was treated at the conclusion of the series. Anyway, If she decided to reopen the series at what time frame since we last heard from Sookie’s life do you think it should be? Myself, I’d say her husband was murdered at work, and she has gone to Eric for help in finding the murderer.

Absolutely. Pretty sure books saved my sanity during the pandemic.

crossfox21
      Participant

I would certainly not wish that on Sookie. She deserves whatever HEA she can have with Sam. If Ms. Harris reopened the series, I would imagine she would spin off to some of the other characters. Eric would definitely be a favorite candidate for that, as would Pam. If she stuck with Sookie, I would hope to see Sookie’s relationship with Sam growing as they work together to navigate mysterious occurrences. Patricia Briggs has one series that basically starts with the marriage, and the family – including youngsters – has adventures together. I love it that life doesn’t end with the wedding.

Charlaine Harris

I feel if I write more about anyone in the Sookie universe, it would be Quinn.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

dhsaber
        Participant

Quinn was interesting!

crossfox21
        Participant

I agree, he was an interesting character, and one that a lot of us would love to hear more from.

MSGelinas
      Participant

It has been a long time since I posted here, my old username was MSCalhoun, which was deleted (which I am ok with since I am no longer married).

I have recently been binge listening to all the audiobooks for the first time. Very different experience than reading, I feel like you get the whole story like one continuous book rather than reading which is a slower progression of the story. And in doing this, it was made very obvious to me that Sam would be who Sookie ended up with. I always thought Sam while I was reading the series and was happy when I was right. But it wasn’t as obvious as it is now, listening to all the books continuously. He is always around pretty much. Sookie always thinks of him as more than a friend at times. She always mentions how they tried dating and the only real reason she gives as to why they didn’t continue was that he was her boss.

Anyway, hello again everyone!

And Charlaine- I would love more Quinn books. Because binge listening has also made me realize how little of him we got and how much more I want.

crossfox21
        Participant

Hi MS Gelinas! I am no longer married myself, as of this morning. On to the next step…

ITA about Sam. The chemistry between them was always there, waiting for the time to be right.

audiobooklover
        Participant

crossfox – I’m not sure what the right thing to say here is: Congratulations!(?) Good luck!(?) I’m thinking of you in this period of change in your life!(?) But, please just imagine that I said something appropriate and I wish you the best on your next adventures.

crossfox21
        Participant

Congratulations are definitely in order. There’s still a lot of disentangling to be done after 38 years together and 34 married. Life is good though.

MSGelinas
        Participant

Crossfox: My 1 year anniversary of my divorce was this past Saturday.

audiobooklover
        Participant

Interesting MSGelinas! I listened to all the books (more than once) and I always thought it was obvious that Sookie would end up with Sam (and said that more than once on this forum and elsewhere). Maybe my experience would have been different if I had read the text versions instead. Hmmmm.

MSGelinas
        Participant

Audiobooklover: Yeah, it was obvious to me while reading but not as blatantly obvious, if that makes sense?

I have rewritten the ending to the series. Most everyone I spoke to doesn’t like her with Sam. Is the somewhere I can submit it to see what y’all think?

crossfox21
        Participant

Fanfic is not allowed on this board, as is the case with the vast majority of author-owned boards, due to legal issues. When authors see fanfic, fanfic writers have been known to sue them later for plagiarizing the fanfic, even if the author’s work was already in the publication process when the fanfic was written. So there is no place on this board for fanfic.

I’m not the moderator here, so I don’t know whether posting links is acceptable. You may read the Forum Rules page to find out. If you’ve read the above posts, you know that most of the posters here are happy with the way the author ended the series. While I am mindful that one of my favorite authors wrote fanfic for years before having her own work accepted for publication, most of the fanfic I have seen has not held my attention. I’m a grammar geek who skates pretty close to the autism spectrum, and really can’t read anything longer than a page that is not adequately proofread and edited.

Sam was not my favorite character of Sookie’s suitors – I enjoyed reading about Eric more – but I was never of the opinion that my views were superior to those of the author, and I never thought Sookie would end up with Eric permanently, given the world building and character building of the series. It’s great that people can write their own endings if they don’t like the author’s, but my time is precious and my reading priorities do not include fanfic.

I didn’t post to offend anyone especially the author. I just had another thought and was curious where I might post my thoughts.

I’m new to this and that’s why I asked a question?

crossfox21
      Participant

I suspected you were, which is why I edited my response extensively through at least four drafts, to be more diplomatic before I posted it. New posters are courteously directed to the Forum Rules page, but it is sadly apparent that most of them don’t bother with it. Had you gone there, you would have seen in bold print that fanfic is strictly forbidden. Unfortunately the FAQs page seems to be blank at the moment, which will hopefully be rectified. That page should hold information on posting links.

Although you obviously have been communicating mostly with shippers, there is a significant contingent of readers who respect the author’s intent, which was clear to anyone who kept an open mind about Sookie’s relationships. Anyone who has read Ms. Harris’ other series knows that she writes mysteries and urban fantasy, not paranormal romance. In other words, the romance is not the dominant element of the story in her books; the romance is there to serve the plot and the characters, rather than the other way round.

Those of us who were around at the time of publication remember the outpouring of abuse against Ms. Harris when the final book in the series was published. We are protective of her because people who ignored all the clues she included about Sam posted seriously nasty comments on Ms. Harris’ own forum and really, all over the web. Amazon, Goodreads, you name it. Please remember that Ms. Harris owns this forum. You are in her virtual living room. Reread at your post with that perspective in mind. Consider whether you would have worded your comment in the same way, had you researched this board a little more thoroughly.

We’re always happy to meet new readers who appreciate and respect Ms. Harris’ talents. If that is the case, welcome to the board.

I enjoyed the books. I didn’t know about all the bad publicity surrounding the books. She seems like a nice lady and I would love to read other stuff she’s done.

I don’t even know what fanfic was until about 3 days ago. I liked the ending, just had thoughts about a different direction and wrote it down.

Sorry for the post. I honestly didn’t know I did anything wrong.

dhsaber
      Participant

I was on this board back then and remember the abuse Mrs Harris suffered. I was so sad for her. It was absolutely terrible! I had figured out Sam was end game pretty early. I remember reading early on that she had said that she knew the ending after the first book. That automatically cancelled out Erik and anybody met after first book ) for end game. At another point she said Sookie would never be a vampire ( canceling Bill) Sookie loved kids and the sun! Meaning she needed to be with someone who could give her both and yet was in the first book. That left Sam. If I remember correctly Crossfire, weren’t you one of the mods? I actually have a question for Ms. Harris, would she ever consider writing a paranormal romance again? As for shippers I think that’s pretty normal anytime a romantic triangle is involved. Think Vampire diaries or Twilight Saga. Please don’t confuse my words as comparing the Southern Vampire Chronicles to those others ( which basically were for tweens) only throwing out the example of triangles and how since we all luckily have different romantic taste, once involved in the books we will all pick our favs. Frankly I liked Bill. That wasn’t a real popular decision at the time. However, I always knew it was not to be simply by listening to Ms Harris herself. I absolutely adore Ms. Harris. I still have some of her cards. I displayed them with pride when received. Almost with bragging rights they were from my friend! Ms Harris, and her books helped get me through 6 months of chemo. I even wrote her a long letter back then on Facebook messenger while im chemotherapy brain fog, which she replied to. Later rereading what I wrote while I’m a high temperature was down right embarrassing. Much misspelling and incohesive and rambling like a crazy person in parts But she graciously looked past all that. She is just a good person. I think we can see much of Ms. Harris’s goodness in Sookie’s personality and thought patterns. Which is why I was so saddened by how fans later treated her.These books have given many hours of joy. But they were written for entertainment purposes. To treat an author badly whom you enjoyed for years because you became obsessed with a make believe character is not okay. Ms. Harris is not make believe, she is a real person with real feelings. She is a good person. I can only hope that those who treated her badly where teens or young adults ( not that that excuses it). Myself I’m 55, and grateful for the respite from reality that Miss Harris provided. I eagerly awaited each new release. I actually only read Twilight Saga and Vampire diaries because I was in Sookie withdrawal while waiting for the next book. Those other books never held a candle to Ms Harris’s books that had so many elements and layers. Maybe I should change my handle to gratefulreader

MSGelinas
        Participant

Let me guess: your ending has Eric as who she ends up with?

That was where all the hate was coming from back in the day. I was here as well during that time. Eric is your typical strong male, he is a lot of women’s fantasy and much of why he was favored among the other men. Hell, he is even MY fantasy but perhaps life has taught me that sometimes your fantasy isn’t great in reality.

Sookie isn’t a real person, none of them are, so sometimes we want books to keep us in fantasy. However, most good writers want their characters to come off as real as possible. Sam isn’t fantasy, he is very much your typical guy that most girls should probably look for in a real life mate. He has just enough intrigue to make him interesting but all in all, he is a well rounded guy. He is reality. He is usually the guy who most girls should end up with but don’t realize it until much later in life sometimes.

Anyway, you are free to discuss here who you think she should have ended up with and why, that is very much welcome.

But, perhaps if you see this in a more personal light, you will understand how insulting it is to come to an authors message board (in case you didn’t notice a few posts above, she is active here. That is actually her commenting from time to time and she does read what is posted), tell her how people don’t like what she wrote and want to share what you wrote instead. That is like someone taking something you created and recreating it but slightly different, telling you how a lot of people didn’t like what you created and showing you how you made it “better”. If you can’t see how that can come off negatively….I guess we can’t explain it any better.

I am sure there are other groups where your fanfiction is welcome that isn’t run by Ms. Harris herself. Facebook is a good place to look, I am sure.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by MSGelinas.

I don’t mind the ending. Actually this is the 2nd series that I’ve read. I can read, it just has to capture my interest and these books do (still reading them, bought the books). I just wondered it this had been different whom would she had been with.

I’ve never tried anything like this and it started out as my thoughts and became something more.

Ms. Harris seems like a great lady and I truly ment no offense to her.

crossfox21
        Participant

We appreciate that and welcome you here. The natives really are friendly; we just get a little defensive on occasion due to experience. Ms. Harris has several good series and through her Book&Blog, most of us have been introduced to other authors we love such as Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews, and many more. Have fun exploring!

Charlaine Harris

Hi, everyone. Christinaandjame, I hope you find somewhere you can publish your work, and talk to like-minded people. But as you now know, that place is not here. However, I always welcome anyone who enjoys reading and likes my work. It took me a few years to get over the fallout when I ended the Sookie series, but I’m calm about it now. However, when people ask me if I’d write more books about Sookie . . . I shudder. Thanks for your responses, Crossfox and MsGelinas.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

I’m sorry about the fallout with the ending of Sookie. I’m sorry that my inquiry led to this.

Thanks for responding to my post and I’m truly sorry if I offended you ?

Charlaine Harris

I have a much high tolerance for offense than I used to! I could tell you didn’t know what a nest you were stirring. Post in peace.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

I was frankly bumfuzzled (!) by all the drama at the end of Sookie’s saga. I knew since my first interview with Charlaine back in 2005 who Sookie would end up with but I just enjoyed the ride! We had such a wonderful time when the fan club organized and we began to become active that I could not believe that there would be such a ruckuss at the end! Charlaine was ALWAYS such a good sport and was so creative and involved with the fans that I could not really understand those that were so ugly at the end.

dhsaber
        Participant

I’m actually glad I wasn’t active on the forum at the end to see all that. However I did hear about fans turning on Mrs Harris, and tours being cancelled because of it. I felt so so sad for her! All I could hope was that they were teens. I remember when I was reading the Vampire Diaries and the author who had created all the characters and written like 8 books got fired. Apparently she signed a contract when she was young not completely understanding it was giving the company the right to her characters and books. The company brought in a ghost writer to continue writing her stories. She was devastated! I swore then I wouldn’t read another one of them ( which would have been written by the ghost writer who had taken over and had originally just been a helper trainee) and I didn’t. Call me silly but I’m loyal to my authors and hate seeing them mistreated. Ms Harris was definitely mistreated. I wished at the time I could give her a hug and still do! Between her interactions with all of us on here and cards in the mail you couldn’t help but feel like you had a true friendship with her, ( which I have never felt with any other author) Ms Harris wasn’t just the author of the books and characters I loved, she was a friend! That may sound silly. But hearing how she was being mistreated, my heart ached for her. Maybe it’s because I’m 55 and not one of the teenybopper. However I don’t feel these books were written for the youngsters, but sure they had enjoyed them to. I find it interesting how many of us have since gotten divorced and yet have come back here. We’ve all gone through our own traumas through the years, but are back to support each other and our favorite author.

crossfox21
        Participant

Indeed we are!

MSGelinas
      Participant

Just finished Dead in the Family on audiobook and it was great going back to Bon Temps with Sookie again. The only thing I can say I am “upset” over (and it isn’t actual anger, of course) is that we didn’t get more time with Sookie and Sam together. But Ms. Harris laid out a very nice path to this conclusion, in my opinion. Everything that happened was in character for each character. Everything made sense.

Charlaine Harris

Thanks for the thoughtful comments, dhsaber and MSGelinas. I didn’t cancel a planned tour, but I did refuse to go on one. People needed time to cool off, and I needed healing time. I certainly learned a lot during those weeks, and very little of it was pleasant. However, it’s in the past. I’m older and more cautious now. Every now and then I read a post from someone who is still furious, and I think what a waste of emotional energy that must be. Most people are very kind.

Charlaine

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

I hated what happened at the end because, quite frankly, I felt like I was dropped on my head! I had been very active with the fan club (I organized it!) and the other activities in support of Charlaine and then, after several years, it suddenly ended for me. Quite a few of the “old guard” were still active but I felt I was seemingly deliberately excluded. The last conference I attended I came into the hotel restaurant for breakfast and saw all the club members at a table having a meet with Charlaine which I knew nothing about! I got the drift finally and left the hotel that day. I never had ANYTHING to do with the unpleasantness as far as I know so I was quite disturbed.

dhsaber
        Participant

I’m sorry you were made to feel that way. Unfortunately I was never able to attend anything as I lived in Alaska at that time. I was around long enough to see the boards seem to become unfriendly. I do remember your name and contradictions back then. Although I was not part of making you feel that way, I would like to apologize for the emotional hurt and betrayal you were made to feel. I’m sure it ran deep, as I remember how active you were. I am so glad you have returned!!! I think we need to make a concentrated effort to now let that be the old board and us few create a new and positive board for both ourselves and new members who are finding it for the first time. Let this be our board who love the books. We can’t change the past but we can change our future. I believe many were hurt back then including Ms Harris. There will always be people that are enjoying the books for the first time. This is our new beginning. Again I am sorry for the way you were made to feel and would like to personally welcome you back. Welcome back Big mamma 😀

dhsaber
        Participant

I’m sorry big mamma I can’t find an edit button. Spell correct changed my word to contradiction. It isn’t what I meant. I was trying to say contrabutions.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.