Home Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Sookie Stackhouse Sookie Stackhouse Books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Simpson-Weiss
    Participant

Use this thread to discuss the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

crossfox21
      Participant

I started rereading these a couple of weeks ago, because I hadn’t read them since the Gunnie Rose series started. It’s like soaking in a hot tub with a mug of peppermint-chamomile tea and honey, and neither the tea nor the bathwater get too cold. Pure comfort.

I admit it’s been awhile since I was on here, thought I might have to reregister. But I didn’t. Still miss this series. Luckily I still have all the books, but wish you would consider reopening the series. These were my all time favorite books ( I confess Gone With the Wind is first but these were number 2). They were also the first series I ever bothered to read. I miss the cards I received, and being made to feel special by my favorite author. I remember feeling sad, when the series ended but safer still by how my favorite author was treated. I admit I have tried to find another series that would grab me like Sookie did. Engage adventure, romance, comedy and mystery. That would totally and completely absorb me into their world. While the show was entertaining, it never was as good as the books. They overplayed certain storylines that on repeat I fast forward through. Never did that with the books, no matter how many times read. I still have an audio book I won and was autographed by Mrs Harris that I never opened for fear of it getting ruined. I miss Sookie.
        crossfox21
        Participant

I just reread DEAD AS A DOORNAIL, part of a series reread that I’m doing on and off between other things. I was really struck by the empathy and respect with which Sookie’s character is written, as she is a person employed in the service sector who lives close to the edge of her finances, through no fault of her own. I do wonder how she would have weathered the pandemic, with all its disruptions and disillusionments, and expect she would have some pithy observations about it.

I think Sookie would’ve helped everyone she knew through the pandemic, regardless of her financial situation. She’d be checking on everyone and brining them food lol

I think Sookie would’ve helped everyone she knew through the pandemic, regardless of her financial situation. She’d be checking on everyone and bringing them food lol

crossfox21
          Participant

I agree, to all three.

Isn’t it great that between pandemics and WW3 threats we can still mentally escape into sookie’s world. By the way what I wrote up above ( and can’t find a way to edit) was supposed to say I was sad at how my favorite author was treated at the conclusion of the series. Anyway, If she decided to reopen the series at what time frame since we last heard from Sookie’s life do you think it should be? Myself, I’d say her husband was murdered at work, and she has gone to Eric for help in finding the murderer.

crossfox21
            Participant

I would certainly not wish that on Sookie. She deserves whatever HEA she can have with Sam. If Ms. Harris reopened the series, I would imagine she would spin off to some of the other characters. Eric would definitely be a favorite candidate for that, as would Pam. If she stuck with Sookie, I would hope to see Sookie’s relationship with Sam growing as they work together to navigate mysterious occurrences. Patricia Briggs has one series that basically starts with the marriage, and the family – including youngsters – has adventures together. I love it that life doesn’t end with the wedding.

Absolutely. Pretty sure books saved my sanity during the pandemic.

Charlaine
              Participant

I feel if I write more about anyone in the Sookie universe, it would be Quinn.

Charlaine

It has been a long time since I posted here, my old username was MSCalhoun, which was deleted (which I am ok with since I am no longer married).

I have recently been binge listening to all the audiobooks for the first time. Very different experience than reading, I feel like you get the whole story like one continuous book rather than reading which is a slower progression of the story. And in doing this, it was made very obvious to me that Sam would be who Sookie ended up with. I always thought Sam while I was reading the series and was happy when I was right. But it wasn’t as obvious as it is now, listening to all the books continuously. He is always around pretty much. Sookie always thinks of him as more than a friend at times. She always mentions how they tried dating and the only real reason she gives as to why they didn’t continue was that he was her boss.

Anyway, hello again everyone!

And Charlaine- I would love more Quinn books. Because binge listening has also made me realize how little of him we got and how much more I want.

Quinn was interesting!

crossfox21
                Participant

I agree, he was an interesting character, and one that a lot of us would love to hear more from.

crossfox21
                  Participant

Hi MS Gelinas! I am no longer married myself, as of this morning. On to the next step…

ITA about Sam. The chemistry between them was always there, waiting for the time to be right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.