Home Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Community Off-Topic Question of the Day

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Charlaine
    Participant

I can appreciate your happiness at finding work you thought you’d lost. Lovely poem.

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

What a lovely poem! I’m so glad it was not lost! How great to be able to share with your son and he can present your work as a part of his assignment. That is truly special.
        It makes me remember how thrilled I was that some of my work was chosen to be included in The Sookie Stackhouse Companion. We all worked so hard on it and I am really proud of the final product. 🙂

Rebecca19
        Participant

Thank you Ms. C and Big Mama. The poem is based on a day my sister took her teenage children on an outing to the beach. My nephew loves collecting sea glass. They sent a picture of my niece holding it and she looked enchanted, like a mermaid.

I knew everyone here would understand my relief and the shared words (and belief in mermaids;) )

And I love my Sookie Stackhouse Companion; double fun to know I have something you contributed to, Big Mama!:)

Rebecca19
          Participant

Just sat down with some hot chocolate and Susan Hill’s “The Mist in the Mirror” :)))

Bigmama
            Participant

well, I now am supposedly immune to the virus! I got my second shot a week ago yesterday and am just now getting over it! I had absolutely no effect from the first shot and thought, ” WOW! This is going to be easy!” 🙂 HAH! Hubby and I got felled by the second shot! Just like having a really bad case of flu. We are ok now, however, and I am really glad its done. With my health issues I was a VERY bad bet if I got the virus so I’m glad I at least have a bit better prognosis. Our area began to have a whammy of new cases of covid just before we got the first shot. I think that may be why our county got the vaccine so quickly. Florida has so many elderly and we are being given the priority for the shots. Since my husband and I are both over 70 years old we were at the head of the list. We had actually been told we would have to wait when I called to get an appointment for the first shot. I was told that even though I called immediately once I found out the vaccine was available, all the medication had already been promised. I was told it would probably be a couple of months before they got more. Fortunately for us, we got a call a couple of days later that they had gotten additional vaccine and would do the shots the next day! I am really relieved-I do have some ammunity now but will be at full protection by next Tuesday.

Charlaine
              Participant

Really glad you got your vaccine, BigMama. I have natural immunity right now since I actually had the virus, but of course we’ll have to get the vaccine in sixty days or so. I hope we don’t have to struggle to get an appointment.
                Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
                Participant

That’s great news BigMama! Sorry the second shot made you feel sick, but glad you are better now. My mother gets her first shot today (in a couple of hours) and we are thrilled because we’ve been very worried about her.

Is there a newsletter or something I can subscribe to that will send to my email information about new books or even an email when new blog posts are published? Even if one of these threads was updated for this info that I could subscribe to so I got an alert.

Charlaine
                  Participant

Collette, I am sure there is, because I can get responses to my own posts. You can ask Sarah, the website maven.

Charlaine

Bigmama
                    Participant

Do any of the original club members ever meet at conventions or have gathering like we once did. I would love to see some of the ‘old guard’ again. 🙂

We should set up a Zoom meet-up! I have a work trip next week to Anaheim, but get back June 1st. Would a weeknight or weekend work better for everyone?

Charlaine
                      Participant

Anyone up for this idea?

Charlaine

audiobooklover
                        Participant

I was not part of the fan club “old guard” but I have been around the board (the old one and now this one) for quite a while and I’d love to attend a Zoom meet-up if one happens. Depending on the day, either weeknight or weekend can work for me.

One silver lining of this pandemic was discovering Zoom and the possibility to meet-up with people all over the world. Through other online boards, I’ve done that and “met” people I’d only communicated with on boards similar to this and it’s been great fun.

Charlaine
                          Participant

Like all of you, I am sure, I am in shock over what happened in Uvalde. I have a grandson the age of the children who were murdered. I have a cousin living in Uvalde. Most of all, I am a citizen and a human being. There comes a time (and in my opinion, it’s long past) where we should value the lives of our citizens over the dubious right of Americans to buy assault rifles. People who say their rifles would have to be pried from their cold dead hands are not thinking of the cold dead hands of Americans who have died from senseless slaughter.

Charlaine

crossfox21
                            Participant

Agreed. When my dad was in high school in the 50s, he used to ride his bike to rifle team practice with his .22 strapped across his handlebars. He was only stopped once, by a cop who checked that the gun was safely secured. Back then, assault rifles were not an option for civilians, because Bonnie and Clyde were still relatively recent memory, and everyone understood that weapons of war don’t belong in everyone’s possession. The law was clear.

My dad and all my brothers were NRA instructors; I learned to shoot when I was 7, and passed my Safe Hunter course in the very early 70s. Back then the NRA was a respectable organization focused on gun safety, education, and sports. Then, in the mid 70s, the NRA decided to hire a lobbyist. IIRC it was 1977 when the lobbyist packed the national meeting with rabid wingnuts and successfully staged a coup.

Lobbyists know they’re out of a job if their issue is ever resolved. So the lobbyists who now operate the NRA for their own personal benefit have zero motivation to allow anything close to good faith negotiation. Their income depends upon keeping the issue unresolved, by fanning the flames of paranoia in their members. The “slippery slope” fallacy is their bread and butter, and you will pry it from their cold, dead, slippery fingers.

It’s really incumbent upon responsible gun owners to be part of this national conversation. We outnumber the wingnuts; we have to get louder than we have been.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.