Off-Topic Question of the Day

Off-Topic Question of the Day

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Community Off-Topic Question of the Day

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      web admin
      Keymaster

Use this thread to post (non-Charlaine) questions to the community.

aquasam
      Participant

Does anyone have any favorite books from 2020?

Mine are (in the order I read them):

A PLAGUE OF GIANTS – Kevin Hearne
      THE SUN DOWN MOTEL – Simone St. James
      MY LADY JANE – Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows
      A LONGER FALL – Charlaine Harris
      PEACE TALKS – Jim Butcher
      The STILLHOUSE LAKE Series – Rachel Caine
      A DEADLY EDUCATION – Naomi Novik
      CLOCKWORK BOYS – T. Kingfisher

crossfox
      Participant

Charlaine’s, of course, and Naomi Novik’s was another favorite.The new books by Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews (EMERALD BLAZE), and Ben Aaronovitch (FALSE VALUE). I worked my way through Sharon Lee and Steve Miller’s Liaden Universe space opera series. Dana Stabenow’s most recent Kate Shugak.

Bigmama
      Participant

Ilona Andrews, Blood Heir. Great to visit with Julie and Derek! 🙂

Charlaine Harris

Hi, after a long time! (Almost) my whole family got the virus, due to a child who passed it to my grandson, who unknowingly shared it with Hal and myself, and his mother and father, before he showed any symptoms. Then our daughter, a school teacher and coach, caught it from one of her kids . . . which was bound to happen. Our Christmas was pretty unpleasant, overall, but we were able to get together to celebrate later in December, and we’re well on the road to recovery now. I’ll be writing a new Book and Blog soon — as you can imagine, the books have piled up!

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Rebecca19
      Participant

Oh my gooooodneeeessss!! I’m so glad you all have come through on the other side!! In a weird way, you have nothing to fear now! You all have faced it down!

Charlaine Harris

That’s very much the way I feel, Rebecca19! I have antibodies!

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
        Participant

WOW! The pandimic is still spreading like wildfire in Florida. I have been fortunate to avoid it so far. I have had my first shot of the vaccine so I am anxiously waiting for the second in about 3 weeks. Fingers and toes crossed! 🙂

Rebecca19
      Participant

Big Mama- So glad you’re half way there!!

I thought I’d share the link to a very interesting episode of my favorite podcast (“Talking Tudors”). You can find it on itunes. It’s Episode 90 and entitled “Early Modern Women & Book Ownership with Martine van Elk”
      https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-90-early-modern-women-book-ownership-martine/id1413504428?i=1000497867172

Dr.van Elk mentions Margaret Lucas Cavendish, Duchess of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1623 – 15 December 1673) who wrote science fiction and utopian fiction! After I listened to the podcast, I really enjoyed googling more about her. She seems ahead of her time!

I can’t believe it has only been a year since I met Ms C in Birmingham on her book signing tour.I drove from Atlanta with my flamenco teacher (who is like a second mom to me. It was such a fun road trip together!) It feels like ten years ago–this year has been interminable…but here we are! We’ve popped through the other side!

Charlaine Harris

It does feel like an extra-long year, doesn’t it? I hope time goes back to normal when the virus is under control. I don’t believe it can be eradicated. So glad you had a good time on your trip to Birmingham, and it is always a pleasure to hear from you on this forum.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Rebecca19
      Participant

The pleasure is mine. I am in good company and I’m grateful for the kindred spirits here 🙂

As we wait for “The Russian Cage” at the end of February and talk about fav books in 2020, I’ll add I’ve been into a lot of historical fiction lately. But my worlds converged with “Le Temps Viendra” by Sarah Morris–mixing the historical Anne Boleyn with a time traveling modern day heroine.

audiobooklover
      Participant

Oh no! So sorry your whole family got sick, Ms. Harris, but glad you are all feeling better now.
      BigMama – So glad you are halfway to being fully vaccinated.

I really need to read more Kate Daniels. I’ve read the first several, but I know I’m quite a few books behind…

Charlaine Harris

I’ve enjoyed all the Kate Daniels books, but I love the Hidden Legacy books even more. I’ll read anything Ilona Andrews writes.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

I also love the Innkeeper books. I hope we get a novella at least in that series this year!

Rebecca19
      Participant

In keeping with all things “off topic,” this is a bit random, but I looked for this poem for about 7 hours today, deep in the bowels of my Macbook air. My younger son had to do a “free verse” poem for school and I wanted to share some of mine. Imagine my devastation when I believed them all lost. I cried when I found them. I said to my older son, later, “I found the poems!”
      “I know, I heard you mom” (hug) ” ‘I found the poems! I found the poems!'” (mimicking my voice through his laughter) “I’m happy for you mom. I love you.”
      Meanwhile,’not sure what was better: finding the poems or having my fourteen year old’s imitation of me, his laughter and hug. Here is one of “the poems!”

“Sea Glass”
      by R. Monet

I think he probably walked the beach slowly,
      But not exactly methodically;
      Maybe darting,
      Then bent over each find like a sandpiper once still,
      Spying his dinner;
      Dark eye again poised.

He gave them to his sister,
      (that much I do know).
      They turned her hair indigo;
      Hand splayed out like the inner pearl of oyster shells,
      Dappled with gems of green and blue.

Charlaine Harris

I can appreciate your happiness at finding work you thought you’d lost. Lovely poem.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

What a lovely poem! I’m so glad it was not lost! How great to be able to share with your son and he can present your work as a part of his assignment. That is truly special.
      It makes me remember how thrilled I was that some of my work was chosen to be included in The Sookie Stackhouse Companion. We all worked so hard on it and I am really proud of the final product. 🙂

Rebecca19
      Participant

Thank you Ms. C and Big Mama. The poem is based on a day my sister took her teenage children on an outing to the beach. My nephew loves collecting sea glass. They sent a picture of my niece holding it and she looked enchanted, like a mermaid.

I knew everyone here would understand my relief and the shared words (and belief in mermaids;) )

And I love my Sookie Stackhouse Companion; double fun to know I have something you contributed to, Big Mama!:)

Rebecca19
      Participant

Just sat down with some hot chocolate and Susan Hill’s “The Mist in the Mirror” :)))

Bigmama
        Participant

well, I now am supposedly immune to the virus! I got my second shot a week ago yesterday and am just now getting over it! I had absolutely no effect from the first shot and thought, ” WOW! This is going to be easy!” 🙂 HAH! Hubby and I got felled by the second shot! Just like having a really bad case of flu. We are ok now, however, and I am really glad its done. With my health issues I was a VERY bad bet if I got the virus so I’m glad I at least have a bit better prognosis. Our area began to have a whammy of new cases of covid just before we got the first shot. I think that may be why our county got the vaccine so quickly. Florida has so many elderly and we are being given the priority for the shots. Since my husband and I are both over 70 years old we were at the head of the list. We had actually been told we would have to wait when I called to get an appointment for the first shot. I was told that even though I called immediately once I found out the vaccine was available, all the medication had already been promised. I was told it would probably be a couple of months before they got more. Fortunately for us, we got a call a couple of days later that they had gotten additional vaccine and would do the shots the next day! I am really relieved-I do have some ammunity now but will be at full protection by next Tuesday.

Charlaine Harris

Really glad you got your vaccine, BigMama. I have natural immunity right now since I actually had the virus, but of course we’ll have to get the vaccine in sixty days or so. I hope we don’t have to struggle to get an appointment.
      Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

That’s great news BigMama! Sorry the second shot made you feel sick, but glad you are better now. My mother gets her first shot today (in a couple of hours) and we are thrilled because we’ve been very worried about her.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.