I am somber today because . . .

I am somber today because . . .

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Community I am somber today because . . .

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Charlaine Harris

Yesterday saw the passing of a great woman and a great writer, Margaret Maron, who passed away after suffering a stroke. Margaret was a pioneer in the mystery field, a tremendously intelligent and well-informed woman who was a pleasure to know and converse with. She was known for her kindness and support of new writers in the mystery field.

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

It is so hard to say goodbye to a friend whom you have admired and enjoyed for a long while. Unfortunately, at my age it is becoming much more frequent. My husband and I were just visiting yesterday with a friend who lost his wife just a few weeks ago. He is still dealing with the pain-they had been married for over 50 years-and the shock of discovering just how much she had done for him that he was not even aware of! As well as the loss, he is having to develop a great many skill sets that he never had before! She took care of all the home finances and since they had three homes it was quite a job! It has brought home to me, as a wife who has taken on a lot of reponsibility in my marriage, that I need to make sure that my husband is aware of all the tasks he will have to assume should I precede him in passing. I’ve realized it may be something he is not be prepared for.

Charlaine Harris

I’ve spoken to my husband about this several times, but so far with no result. However, I too have lost at least five friends from church and from the writing community in the past few months; Rachel Caine, Parnell Hall, and Margaret Maron among them. I’ll think of more the minute I sign off on this.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

I’ve spoken to my husband about this several times, but so far with no result. However, I too have lost at least five friends from church and from the writing community in the past few months; Rachel Caine, Parnell Hall, and Margaret Maron among them. I’ll think of more the minute I sign off on this.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

This has become a real concern for me as I realize my health is truly failing. My daughter and her companion wish for my husband and I to sell our current home and purchase a new home to put on their land near their home. She has recently gained primary custody of her children so our caring for the youngest grandchild is becoming more frequent. Our oldest grandson is a senior in high school and is planning to move to Gainesville for college. He has been the primary after school care person for the youngest boy (8 years old) so there will soon be a more urgent need for the grandparents! Our physical presence nearby would be very helpful for him as well as necessary for us as our health issues may someday soon require us needing more of their assistance.

Rebecca19
      Participant

My parents live in Maryland and my family and I live in Georgia. I feel the miles more and more. I’m sorry to hear about everyone’s loss. My father-in-law just passed away on March 22. He was 97. Sometimes I wish we did have a picture page on here. He was in the Air Force in WWII–a navigator on a B-24. I love the image we have of him from then. Last year I introduced him to the Mary Russell series by Laurie R.King and he read them ALL –enjoyed every page. They gave him great pleasure this past year!

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama, I have great sympathy for your dilemma. Who wants to move? But it does sound as though you are needed somewhere else. Though if your health is failing, can you take care of small children? But how can you not? I’m so sorry for the pressure this must cause, and I am aware that’s coming up for me, too. Whatever you choose to do, bless you for it. And let us know how you do.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Rebecca19, your father-in-law sounds like a wonderful person. Please message Laurie King and tell her about him. She would enjoy that.I’m sure there’s a way to do that on her website.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Rebecca19
      Participant

Thank you, Ms C. I will. And I’d like to second what you said to Big Mama. <3

Bigmama
      Participant

Most of my real health issues of late have been the result of vaccinations! Both the covid shot and the shingles vaccines were very difficult for me. Thank heaven they are now behind me and I should be covered for those terrible conditions. We have been caring for our youngest grandson after school for some time now and he is truly a blessing. He is very obedient and is no trouble-just occasionally needs a peanut butter sandwich or a banana popsicle! 🙂 He loves to help his Papa in the garden and amuses us to no end playin his Zelda games on the tv! He will be ten in October so he is old enough to pretty much take care of himself-but he is too young to be completely on his own. Our physical proximity to my daughter’s home would make care easier for all of us.

Charlaine Harris

BigMama, I’m glad you are over the vaccinations and are much safer. You are doing a great job with your grandson, and I know you provide your daughter and her partner with much peace of mind. Sorry your health is poor, but you’ll be included in my prayers. We adore our grandchildren, but they are even younger, and it was such a relief to us when they became able to take care of themselves in so many ways. Now we can enjoy their conversation!

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

I had withdrawn from Bouchercon already, but I’m so sad it was cancelled. Someday, we have to get back to gathering together. It’s so important for us to cross-pollinate, to reconnect, to meet our readers!

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

It’s sad that it has come to this. Hopefully, these gatherings will be able to happen next year.

Charlaine Harris

Unless DragonCon gets cancelled, I’m going. This is a sudden decision on my part. I have family in Atlanta, and won’t need to stay in a hotel. I’ll keep my crowd-mingling to a minimum. I’ll wear a mask. I’m vaccinated, and I’ve had COVID. So I’m hoping this isn’t stupid on my part, but I’m as safe as I can be.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

I hope it all works out and that you have a great time!

crossfox21
      Participant

It’s very quiet in here.

Bigmama
      Participant

Well my grandson finally succumbed to covid! The rest of his family had already been infected but he is away at college and so far had not been infected even though he had not taken the vaccine. He woke up in the middle of the night feeling VERY ill and unable to breathe! He stayed up the rest of the night in fear that if he went to sleep he wouldn’t wake up! It has been four days and he is feeling better. He has a roommate who had covid a couple of weeks ago and kept an eye on him in case he felt he should take Kolton to the ER, but that was never necessary, thank, heaven. When will we ever be free of this scourge? We will enter the “normal” flu season soon and many are saying it will be very bad! All us believers need to pray harder!

crossfox21
      Participant

I’m so glad to hear Kolton is on the mend. I got either a cold or a breakthrough flu infection the week before last. At my husband’s urging, I got a PCR which was negative, so definitely not covid. I had forgotten how annoying even a garden-variety respiratory infection can be. While I’m fully vaccinated and mask up in stores, I had gotten a little casual about masking up in park restrooms and using hand sanitizer in the car after shopping. After two days of not feeling great and a week of plowing through ridiculous amounts of tissues, I’ve definitely gone back to more diligent mask and sanitizer use.

While I certainly believe prayer is helpful, God gave us brains and it’s disrespectful not to use them for the public good. All us believers need to, in a charitable spirit, listen to vaccine concerns and educate those who are misinformed about their safety and efficacy. Public health should not be the political casualty that it currently is. Vaccines are the fastest way for believers to help out here on earth. We shouldn’t wait for God to start throwing lightning around to get people’s attention, satisfying as that might be. When it comes to saving lives, vaccine education is a great way for us to do His work in the world.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by crossfox21.
      Charlaine Harris

I agree with everything you say, Crossfox. I have a very hard time having patience with those who are refusing the vaccine for political reasons. My grandson caught COVID from such a person, and then gave it to us. We are so fortunate we survived and got well.

Smallpox and polio are down to minimal levels in the USA, and I consider vaccination for COVID to be the same importance.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

crossfox21
      Participant

It’s a scary disease for sure, with long-lasting aftereffects for many people, as with the two diseases you mentioned.

I would draw your attention to the number of spam posts on this website. There is no way evident to alert Dawn about them. I am willing to check this site daily if necessary, but don’t have the skills to delete them myself. I’m in the process of permanently deleting my FB account (social media is dead to me at this point, unless you count blogs and message boards like this one) so I can’t notify you that way.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.