I am happy today because…

I am happy today because…

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Community I am happy today because…

Tagged: 

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      web admin
      Keymaster

Use this thread to discuss happy things in your life you’d like to share with the community.

crossfox
      Participant

Shiny new website! Cool!

sonofnorway56

Thanks for setting this up Dawn. It may take us a while to learn to navigate around the site but it will give us something to play around with when things settle down after the holidays.

audiobooklover
      Participant

Woohoo! I managed to get here. Looking forward to using the new forum.

crossfox
      Participant

Hey guys! *dancing around the gym floor* Thank you Dawn!

Rebecca19
      Participant

Helloooo? echoooo ๐Ÿ™‚ Everybody here? How fun is this?! I like our new digs! Thank you, Dawn!

I saw in one of our last threads that “True Blood” is having a re-boot. It’s funny, I never watched the show when it started because I had just been through a c-section to be followed by two more c-sections totaling three children in three and a half years so I had had enough of blood and romance for a while. My husband kept telling me “You would LOVE this! It has a fairy in it! And a vampire!”

“Uh-huh” I’d grunt as I passed through the family room with a dirty diaper. (to be fair, he was a five star dad who would often feed our babies in the night so I could sleep!!)

It wasn’t until my children could get in a car on their own that I could address it– but by then the show was off the air–I think it was the summer of 2015 but I was just as happy to start with the books! And I fell in love!! I just adored Sookie and everyone in the book (Husband: “I told you so!”). Some people prefer to refer to the Sookie Stackhouse series as campy–and they are fun–but I also found them enormously profound. Like Gene Roddenberry, Ms.C has used extraordinary characters to teach us about ourselves.

Since reading the books, I’ve loved Alan Ball’s creative response. He really makes the characters come alive (though mostly undead ;)).

Maybe I missed this info (and right now I feel like Alice in Wonderland finding my way through the new site–sorry-I’m so not tech savvy!) But are you writing books for the series, Ms. C ? Or are they based on the follow up Sookie short stories? In other words, is there somewhere to read first? ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Rebecca19.
      aquasam
      Participant

I am going to miss the old forum page, but I am very happy that we still have one to come to!

Bigmama
        Participant

I am so glad to finally figure out how to get here! Yay! I am actually known as Bigmama!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Bigmama.
      EnchantedRose
      Participant

Hi everyone! I’m happy today because I found this new forum. I was on the old one (username was Babbs something, I can’t even remember it’s been so long!). I just wanted to say hi, and that I miss the fan club, the Christmas cards, bookplates, giveaways, and especially how caring everyone was. All of you moderators were so sweet. It was 8 years ago, but I still remember how Michelle (I think it was?) sent me a surprise baby outfit for my son right after he was born. It was so thoughtful and kind, and I’m so glad I’ve been given another chance to say so! Hope everyone is safe during these crazy times! It looks like it hasn’t been used in a while, but I figured I’d write a post just in case ๐Ÿ™‚

Charlaine Harris

Enchanted Rose, it’s good to hear from you again. This board, whether crowded or not, is a great place. We just got out from under the terrible weather here in Texas, and we are so relieved to be able to leave our homes and be warm again. The destruction here was so awful, with so many pipes bursting, so many accidents, so much loss of power in the dreadful cold. Gosh, I thought 2020 was enough! But no, we’ve got more to get through.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

sonofnorway56

I’m happy to things are finally thawing in SW Ohio. We have been lucky here in the past few years – this February is the first time I’ve had to get out the snow shovel in over 2 years. My heart goes out to those that have suffered through this latest weather disaster.

Enchanted, I remember you! You went by Babbs something and I believe you lived down south (Florida maybe?). I can’t believe that was 8 years ago. Where did the time go? Hope you and your family are well.

EnchantedRose
        Participant

Charlaine, I have a few friends in Texas and couldn’t believe it when I heard how awful the conditions were. I’m used to hurricanes here in South Florida, but experiencing that kind of cold with no power for heat must have been so scary. Glad to hear you are okay despite so much widespread damage, and thank you for writing when you must have so much going on. It’s just one disaster after another, isn’t it?

Sonofnorway, time really flies! I am flattered you remember so much! We are all hanging in. I’m high risk with a heart condition and my son had asthma (makes him high risk as well), so our family has been stuck in the house for a year now. I’ve promised him when this is all over and it’s safe again that we’ll take him to Universal and Harry Potter World because he’s been so spectacular about our situation. It hasn’t been pleasant, but I am grateful we have been able to keep safe. I hope everything is going great for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Charlaine Harris

That’s all good to know, though I’m sorry you’ve had to keep strict isolation. We are so looking forward to busting out!

In other news, my virtual visit with Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego went well last night. Tomorrow, I “drop in” at Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ, and Friday night I’m at Murder by the Book in Houston, TX. These are all favorite bookstores of mine, and I’m hoping to see some familiar names among the participants.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

I got my first vaccination! No reaction at all. This feels like a big step forward.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
        Participant

Great news Charlaine! So glad to hear it.

I think it will still be a while until I can get it, but I’m hopeful that things are speeding up.

Bigmama
      Participant

Charlaine, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is the SECOND shot that delivers the whammy! I had absolutely no problem with the first shot-I did not even have the sore arm that many reported. YAHOO! The second shot was the kicker! I had severe flue-like symptoms for over a week, and muscle aches for much longer than that. Initially muscle pain, some nausea and mild headache. It was the muscle pain that was worse for me. Just have some Tylenol available!

Charlaine Harris

Lucky me! I’m the one who had a terrible reaction to the first vaccine! It’s just like having COVID all over again. I hope tomorrow is better.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

Oh no! I hope you feel much better today.

Charlaine Harris

Yes, thanks. My fever broke yesterday, and I had a restful night. Woke feeling just about back to normal.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

Glad to hear it. That’s what I’ve heard from a lot of people who had side effects from the vaccine – a day and maybe night of symptoms and then fine the next day.

Bigmama
      Participant

Wow Charlaine, so sorry to hear that. I would think you would be protected by antibodies! Maybe the second one will be easier since you already had the reaction.

Charlaine Harris

I have a new Book & Blog up! Check out what I’ve been reading. So many books, so little time!

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Rebecca19
      Participant

Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve been on–so sorry to hear about the vaccine trouble for you both, Big Mama and Ms. C–glad you are both better, now! I’ve had my head down researching Anne Boleyn’s early life. I’ve greatly enjoyed it. It’s for an ebook I was asked to do for an event on May 19 (the date of her execution). In my reading, I learned more about Marguerite de Navarre of France. She was the sister of Francis I, King of France in the 16th c,and given the moniker, “The First Modern Woman” by her early 20th c biographer. She was truly fascinating. Among her accomplishments was her “Heptameron.” It is a collection of over 70 short stories. I look forward to reading more about her. I just purchased two very old books–one is her Heptameron, which appears to be over a hundred years old but somewhere in there it belonged to someone named Mariann in Trenton, NJ. I wonder what Mariann thought of it? And a 1936 copy of Marguerite’s biography by Samuel Putnam. I love these old books! And I didn’t break the bank. Together they were less than buying two hardbacks in a bookstore today. And yes, I love how they smell…Here’s to old books and surviving our vaccines!

Charlaine Harris

Today I am happy, grateful, and just about ecstatic to say that Mystery Writers of America has given me the title Grand Master. Only one or two are named every year, and this year Jeffrey Deaver and I are the recipients of this honor. We have to accept virtually, and it would be more fun in person, but I’m not griping. The ceremony (which includes the Edgar Awards) will be on MWA’s Youtube page in the near future.

This is my fortieth year as a published writer. What an amazing career I have had. I could never have imagined any of this.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Bigmama
      Participant

Teehee! Remember-you were an overnight success!

audiobooklover
      Participant

Congratulations!! That’s wonderful news and well-deserved. *claps*

Charlaine Harris

It’s certainly been a long and winding road. But it lead to a great place.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

It’s certainly been a long and winding road. But it lead to a great place.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

We’re back up! Dawn had to spend a lot of time on the phone, but finally the website is back on line and running. And we don’t even know why it vanished.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

I am happy today because I am going to DragonCon in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend. I’m anxious, too, because I’m well aware that the Delta Variant is something to be feared. But I will be masked, I’ll social distance, I won’t be staying in a hotel, and I’m limiting my appearances. Above all, I’m vaccinated! I’m just doing a signing and a panel and attending the awards ceremony, because THE RUSSIAN CAGE got nominated for an award (Alternate History). I’m both nervous and excited at doing a public appearance after so long.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

Have a great trip. Congrats on the nomination and good luck! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rebecca19
      Participant

I hope you are having a wonderful time in Atlanta. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has a good feeling about “The Russian Cage!” I’m right here in Atlanta and as much fun as it would be to attend, I have a lot of mom-sponsibilities with school starting, renovating old plumbing (!) but also some Labor Day fun with the whole family attending the first Georgia Tech football game tonight and going together on a whitewater rafting trip tomorrow! But I hope it goes really well and that we hear some good news. Either way, you know we all love what you do and nothing can change that ๐Ÿ™‚

crossfox21
      Participant

I hope DragonCon went well and that you had a good visit with your family.

I’m happy today because over the weekend, I set up a new account here.

I had forgotten my password for the old account, and couldn’t get the login page to work. When I tried to reset the password, it kept telling me that I was using an invalid link. Well, it was the link the page sent me. So I gave up on that back in the summer because I just didn’t have the bandwidth to deal with it.

Over the weekend, I set it up using a secondary email I almost never use. I’ve also started writing passwords down in my planner, something I never had to do before. There are just too many sites that want them, and I am too paranoid to use the same one for everything. My dad was one of the Navy’s original computer security guys, and he would come back and haunt me if I did that.

Also had to change my FB password over the summer, and then couldn’t remember the new one. That is what we call a Sign. I normally deactivate my account between visits anyway, because FB is a huge black hole of time and energy for me. Next time I go on FB, which will require a new password, it will be to delete my account entirely.

Also finally gave up on Nextdoor. The moderation was too spotty, and trolls were invading. I deleted that account as well. This all sounds like complaints, but it’s not. My daughter says I seem happier since I gave up on social media. I don’t think I’m really social enough for it. I much prefer message boards like this. It’s good to be back.

Rebecca19
      Participant

Hey Crossfox!

I get everything you are saying. I felt “forced” on social media with my Anne Boleyn book and though I love the community aspect (fellow history geeks), it is a hole for sure and I miss the quiet of this spot right here.

Nextdoor is bedlam. An eloquent post which suggested we respect each other was voted “disprespectful” by one moderator but the rest voted to keep it up.

Sometimes we have to remove ourselves from the madding crowd.

Crossfox, I envision you in a scene like one in a “Wonder Woman” movie and you are determinedly walking away, jaw set and victorious, while stuff is blowing up in the background — cut to scene: it’s a quiet coffee shop. You are with friends, talking about your favorite books, and laughing… ๐Ÿ™‚

audiobooklover
      Participant

Nice to have you back, crossfox! And, yes, Nextdoor is often a center of rudeness and complaints, but we recently had a very fun thread when someone found something underground in his yard and everyone was trying to figure out what it was. Apparently, it was the base of an old bread oven and someone who lived next door while it was there showed up and told the guy that.

crossfox21
      Participant

Thanks, abl and Rebecca! Nextdoor had lots of fun threads about local wildlife, but at the end of the day it didn’t make up for the trolls. And nature geeks get tired of explaining why pesticide is not the answer for every insect that appears in your general vicinity. When one woman didn’t want American oil beetles in her yard because she’d read they were toxic, I’m afraid I suggested (politely!) that she tell her kids not to eat them.

As to the coffee shop, in the Before Times, that would have been accurate. Nowadays we mainly talk about books on the trails.

Charlaine Harris

I know it would be better for me professionally if I were more active on all social media, but I don’t have the time or energy. A wonderful young woman does my posting on Instagram, because I had to draw the line somewhere. I check this site, my professional Facebook page, and Goodreads Dashboard. I privately am on Neighborhood, and it often makes me want to tear my hair out. But there are some queries I feel I can help on. Mixed reviews on that.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

crossfox21
      Participant

Yes, there have been queries I have definitely been able to help on. There are others out there who can give the same kind of help though, and they are better able to tune out the drama than I am. I’ve made a good friend or two through Next-door, but I’m done with it at this point. Those friends are still on it, and they’re a lot more capable of managing it than I am.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.