Charlaine’s Books & Blog

Charlaine’s Books & Blog

Home Forums Charlaine Harris Discussion Forums Other Authors Charlaine’s Books & Blog

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      web admin
      Keymaster

Use this thread to discuss books mentioned in Charlaine’s “Books & Blog” posts.

audiobooklover
      Participant

I just saw that there was a new B&B from July 14. Yay! 🙂

I listened to The Inheritance Games a few months ago on someone’s recommendation and enjoyed it.

I also noted that you mentioned Lori Rader-Day’s work. Just yesterday, I was at a virtual book discussion with William Kent Krueger and he mentioned her new book, coming out in October, A Death at Greenway. It sounds intriguing. I’m not sure I was familiar with her work before, but now I’ve seen two mentions in two days from authors whose work I enjoy. Seems like I need to read something of hers. 😉

Sorry to hear about the water still in your basement, but as the co-chair of used book sales for my local Friends of the Library group, I appreciate that you donated a bunch to your library. We depend on donations. Though, we haven’t had a big sale in almost two years, so now is not the moment we need them the most (and they keep coming in and space is tight, which is a good problem as problems go). We are planning a big sale in October and hopefully nothing will derail that, just as I hope that you get to go to all your planned in person events.

Yay for the arrival of your Edgar Award. I hope to see it on a Zoom event!

Charlaine Harris

I’m rejoining the world after working intensely on rewrites for THE SERPENT IN HEAVEN. audiobooklover, our donation crammed the local FotL shed completely full! I can’t guarantee there are no spaghetti fingerprints (we often read while we eat), but all our books were new and in excellent condition otherwise. Paula and I had to cancel our trip to New Orleans (sob) because of the rise of the cases of the new variant. We have been vaccinated, of course, but our husbands both have chest implants for heart ailments, and it just seemed negligent to bring home any germs. We were looking forward to seeing people. But it will have to wait a bit.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

audiobooklover
      Participant

Oh no! So sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip, but of course I understand why you made that decision. We missed my BIL’s wedding in March because we were not yet vaccinated, which was unfortunate. We’re going to visit them soon to meet his wife in person for the first time (we’ve met on Zoom), but it’s unfortunate that cases are going up again now that we’re going. At least all of us are fully vaccinated, so we’re hoping for the best (and won’t be interacting with as many people as you would have been in New Orleans).

audiobooklover
      Participant

I just peeked at the blog page and realized that I hadn’t seen the one from May either. OOPS!

In any case, The Thursday Murder Club is the pick for one of my book clubs in September so I’m planning to read it, but I’m intentionally leaving it until closer to the time so I don’t forget all the details by the time we meet. I had also heard about The Final Girl Support Group, but it seemed maybe a tad too “horror-y” for me. But, maybe it’s not? I read most genres and I have read some things that might be considered horror, but I stay away from the more graphic/disturbing ones because I sleep better that way.

I also found it interesting reading the blog part today since you were talking about things opening up and being able to go maskless. And, just in the past few days, more mask mandates are being reinstated as numbers are going up again. Sigh.

And, speaking of masks – I wasn’t wearing one today, but I probably should have been because the smoke from the wildfires out west was particularly bad. It looks very hazy and smells like we’re having a campfire. 🙁

Bigmama
      Participant

As Florida’s infection rate has taken off again even those of us who are vaccinated are scratching our heads about what is best to do! My pharmacist daughter, who is quite brilliant and I depend on her for medical advice, has NOT had the vaccine nor have my grandsons! I am VERY concerned since my oldest grandson, Kolton, begins college in August (can ya’ll believe that!!) and will come in contact with a lot more students from countries that are not as conscientious about health care as we are. She is the consultant pharmacist for the hospital pediatric clinic in Madison and is staying informed through the doctors at the clinic and the hospital and at this point they are advising her NOT to vaccinate herself or her boys! (ages 18 and 10) I am beside myself about this because of Kolton’s future exposure and the danger of him bringing infection back to Mason! I have a feeling that as the cases in Florida increase the college will require students to be vaccinated. Time is passing, however, and so far nothing has bee mandated. I was required to put on a mask by a doctors office for the first time in months just the other day. It seems we may be going back to the future!

Charlaine Harris

I agree, Bigmama, and I’m so sorry not all your relatives are vaccinated. I agree with your concern, too. A friend of mine’s grandson had to spend his first month at his new college quarantined. No way to start your college career! Since I live in Texas, the other surge state, I am worried too. We have been vaccinated and we have had COVID (not in that order!) so we should be pretty safe, if that’s possible, but I’m still worried. My husband has chronic asthma and we are not young. I have kept a mask in my purse all this time, and I think I’m going to be wearing it pretty soon.

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.